Deakin University Central Precinct Infill
Kane Constructions was appointed in August 2016 to deliver the Central Precinct Infill project for Deakin University at their Burwood Campus in Victoria.
This new precinct will provide an energised, interactive destination for students, staff and visitors. The precinct will boast a range of social and study areas, including approximately 250 informal learning spaces, and will support a connected experience via the integration of technology (including the installation of digital way finding screens).
The first stage of the project, which delivered a new steel and glass roof over the precinct, is now complete, allowing light to cascade through the roof and illuminate the space below.
Stage 2 works are being delivered by Kane and include:
• Installation of an environmentally responsive façade for the newly installed roof (allowing for optimal thermal comfort)
• Fit out of the plaza on Level 2 (including a seating and stage area)
• Construction of the Level 3 mezzanine (including a student community lounge and informal learning spaces)
• Construction of an additional pedestrian bridge (connecting the precinct to building P)
• Refurbishment of Deakin Central.
The $10 million lump sum contract is due for completion in 2017. Kane has delivered over 15 projects for Deakin University during the past 20 years.