Following an ECI tender process, Kane was appointed as Design & Construct Head Contractor for the $79 million GMHBA Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment Main Works Project. Kane was initially engaged for the ECI stage and following this, successfully delivered an early works package prior to the appointment for the Main Works contract.
GMHBA Stadium is the home of the Geelong Cats AFL side and has been a significant regional community asset for the City of Greater Geelong for almost 75 years. Whilst the Stadium is best known for its AFL match day usage, the Stadium is a truly multi-purpose venue with its diverse facilities being used for a range of elite and community level sports and events.
To enable the Stadium to host such a diverse range of events, the venue has undergone three stages of redevelopment since 2002.
The next stage, Stage 4, includes the demolition and redevelopment of the Brownlow and Jennings Stands on the Western Side of the ground. This stage is the key stage of the Stadium's redevelopment and comprises a variety of components such as:
- A 100 seat café which has views through glass to the Cat's warm-up zone
- Increased seating including greater levels of undercover spectator seating
- A new GFC social club
- New training, administration and players facilities for the GFC
- New facilities for the media and broadcasters
- A large, multi-purpose 1000 seat function room
- The Sunrise Centre, a specialist community rehabilitation area which will assist with return-to-work training
- Player welfare and development centre
- Gymnasium and cardio area that is the largest in the city, about three times the size of the club's existing gym
- Improved game-day spaces including a shield shaped locker room, auditorium and hybrid change room to cater to the future VFL and women's team
Kane has a strong history working with The Geelong Football Club, having delivered the award winning Simonds Stadium Players Stand and Light Towers and Reg Hickey Stand.
The project reached Practical Completion in May 2017.