Geelong Performing Arts Centre (GPAC) opened in 1981. Its facilities no longer meet the needs of the much larger Geelong community and the city’s anticipated future growth.
Stage 2 of the GPAC Redevelopment involves the demolition of existing buildings and delivery of a new building on Ryrie Street. Key project consultants have been appointed via GPAC Trust in conjunction with Development Victoria with the design team being led by Hassell Architects.
The 2009 Geelong Performing Arts Centre Redevelopment Masterplan included the refurbishment of the entire GPAC site. Kane delivered Stage 1 of the Masterplan (internal refurbishment of the existing Playhouse Theatre) in 2010.
The project objectives for stage 2 will be achieved by the following scope:
- Demolition of existing Band of Hope and Mechanics Institute Building
- Revealing the façade of the former church building
- Building a new double height foyer on Ryrie Street to improve access to the Playhouse Theatre
- A new floor for the Creative Industries
- New studio and rehearsal spaces
- Universal access into the Playhouse balcony, studio spaces and church
- Minimise disruption to GPAC general business while keeping the Playhouse Theatre operational throughout
The Geelong Performing Arts Centre Redevelopment Stage 2 will achieve Practical Completion in mid 2019.