New OPA Annex U.S. Embassy Canberra
Kane Constructions was the primary subcontractor for the US$7.2 million Office of Public Affairs Building on the grounds of the US Embassy in Canberra.
This complex project involved many unique challenges including:
- Construction using local labour to a combination of Australian and United States construction standards and techniques;
- Managing components of the design in consultation with American design firms and Australian engineers in order to satisfy the US specification and Australian Standards;
- Significant overseas procurement requirements to meet the design requirement including reinforcement, custom windows, mechanical and electrical equipment;
- Working within a highly sensitive/secure environment;
- Implementation of stringent inspection and approval processes;
Due to these and other complications the project was procured through the US Construction firm Contracting, Consulting, Engineering Inc (CCE), allowing for an open and transparent communication between the Government officials, end users, overseas head contractor, CCE and Kane with their subcontractors.
Kane implemented its systems and procedures developed over many similar arrangements including hospitals, galleries and other complex environments.