The Queen Victoria Woman's Centre
Robert Peck von Hartel Trethowan
Completed in October 1996, this project involved the complete refurbishment of the remaining tower of the historic Queen Victoria Hospital for use as the Queen Victoria Women's Centre. The tower formed the main entrance to the original hospital and was constructed in 1913 - designed by architect John James Clark.
Kane Constructions was engaged as Construction Manager, working closely with Aurecon (known as Atkinson Project Manager at the time). The $5 million project included refurbishment of all seven levels of the building including the roof and basement.
At the time, Kane was concurrently delivering a number of high profile heritage projects including David Jones Facade Restoration, the Melbourne Town Hall and 2 Treasury Place.