Kane was engaged to complete a competitive Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) process for the Waratah Place substation rebuild, in Melbourne’s CBD.
The scope of works included:
- Demolition of the existing structure;
- Retention and excavation;
- New foundations and structure to accommodate substation equipment;
- Architecturally articulated facades; and
- Two tunnels to Lonsdale St and Russel St, the latter to occupy space under an existing building.
During the ECI period, Kane participated in and chaired weekly meetings with the design consultants, the client group and the quantity surveyor.
These meetings were the forum to openly discuss procurement, program, design, buildability and cost issues.
The Kane team undertook a detailed analysis of the design, and where possible offered alternatives to benefit the cost and speed of construction.
Advice was also provided on how the design did or did not meet the Principal’s project requirements.
Specialist consultants were engaged to assist with peer review, as required.
Kane met with sub-contractors to confirm the current market value for the design and whether addition design alternatives were possible.