Saturday evening at The Star in Sydney for the 2015 MBA NSW Awards proved successful for Kane Constructions, taking home the award for Excellence in Construction for Refurbishment/Renovation/Extension projects $15M-$50M.
The state-of-the-art Blue Mountains Theatre & Community Hub in Springwood is a testament to Kane’s persistent and professional approach to project delivery.
Designed by FJMT and our good friends, David Mitchell Architects, the Theatre & Community Hub was a perfect illustration of how a team can add value through true collaboration and innovative value management.
The Kane team included Emma Ratcliffe, Chris Cunico, Peter Milne, Tony Macan, Dan Butler, Adam Bennett and Angelo Hatgiantoniou. The Design Team was David Mitchell Architects, Taylor Thompson Whitting (Structural), Warren Smith and Partners (Hydraulic) and Steensen Varming (Electrical).
The design is characterised by a series of carefully portioned portals constructed of precast walls, timber linings and high performance glazing to house, protect and differentiate the various functions of the facility. In terms of the building, the project involved the construction of 3 new linked spaces including:
- Neighbourhood centre and community services offices
- 420 seat theatre, community dining room and kitchen
- Multipurpose function rooms and meeting spaces
- Council/Library service point with minor refurbishment works to the existing library - Upgraded and expanded parking facilities
- Landscaped forecourt, including landscape upgrades to the existing Braemar Heritage House
We congratulate the Blue Mountains City Council on bringing to the community such a crucial and beautiful space.