Kane Constructions was awarded this ‘once in a generation’ opportunity to deliver a major, new open space precinct in November 2017.
The $55 million redevelopment, covering 10,000 square-metres, will further activate and enhance the broader Chapel Street Precinct.
The new urban square will provide a linkage between Grattan Gardens and Princes Gardens, and provide a focal point in the public space network.
The new square will be an active, vibrant, and exciting place which will encourage people to linger, interact and connect.
Designed by Lyons Architecture and Aspect Studios, the park will be separated into nine distinct areas arranged around a central square featuring a fountain. The design includes ecologically sensitive features, including solar energy generation and storm water capture and management.
The scope of works includes:
- Upgrading the surrounding streetscape - 10,000 square metres of multi-functional urban parkland
- 500 underground car parking spaces
- Featured seating including terraced seating
- Themed green zones with different shading and landscaping, incorporating ESD features
- Two retail/hospitality opportunity spaces
Works will be completed by October 2019, with the two levels of underground car parking opening in August 2019 while work continues above ground.