Kane Constructions was awarded the $95 million Lump Sum contract to deliver the Northern Hospital Inpatient Expansion - Stage 2 project in the third quarter of 2019.
With the demand for quality healthcare continuing to rise in Melbourne’s fast-growing northern growth corridor, the Northern Hospital is undergoing a major rebuilding and refurbishment project.
Stage 2 will increase the tower from three to seven floors, providing space for improved facilities and extra room to meet future needs.
Among the features of the new development will be:
- Three 32-bed wards accommodating 96 acute in-patient beds
- Three new operating theatres including one hybrid theatre
- New theatre recovery spaces
- Expansion of cardiology services, cath labs and medical imaging
- A Critical Care Unit with provision for development of a cardiac precinct
- A fitted out ground floor with kitchen, café hub, offices, transit lounge, emergency control room, morgue and communications rooms
- New electrical and lift infrastructure
- Future provision for a helipad
- A new Central Sterile Supply Unit, equipment loan centre, bio-medical engineering, loading dock and other back office functions.
All works are being carried out in a fully operational hospital environment with construction works due to finish in 2021.