Kane Constructions was awarded the $64.6 million Melbourne Sports Centres – Parkville Redevelopment in October 2018 under a Design & Construct contract.
The upgrade cements Parkville as the home for netball and hockey in Australia with six new indoor netball courts, a new indoor hockey pitch, hot and cold recovery pools, a crèche for parents playing at the centre, and a high-performance strength and conditioning gym.
The centre caters for international elite athletes and competition as well as being a hub for athlete development, major sport programs, sector education programs, and sports administration.
The project delivers the following:
- Six new indoor netball courts to replace the current four outdoor courts, bringing the total number of usable netball courts to eleven
- A new indoor hockey facility to support the new and emerging sport of indoor hockey
- A high-performance strength and conditioning gym
- Myrtha pool
- The Women in Sport Leadership Centre
- Sports House 2 - modelled on 'Sports House' at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, and providing a home for the peak sporting bodies Netball Victoria and Hockey Victoria
- Upgrades to amenity and infrastructure including the development of a new front entrance, providing for improved circulation and improving access to local public transport
The new facilities were developed within the existing boundary of the centre.
Construction commenced in November 2018 and the building was handed over in June 2021.