Kane Constructions has been awarded the $64.6 million State Netball and Hockey Centre (SNHC) Redevelopment in October 2018 under a Design & Construct contract.
The upgrade will cement Parkville as the home for netball and hockey in Australia with six new indoor netball courts, a new indoor hockey facility, a high-performance strength and conditioning gym and a home for Netball Victoria and Hockey Victoria.
The SNHC will cater for international elite athletes and competition as well as being a hub for athlete development, major sport programs, sector education programs, and sports administration.
The SNHC project will deliver the following:
- Six new indoor netball courts to replace the current four outdoor courts, bringing the total number of usable netball courts to eleven
- A new indoor hockey facility to support the new and emerging sport of indoor hockey
- A high-performance strength and conditioning gym
- The Women in Sport Leadership Centre
- Sports House 2 - modelled on 'Sports House' at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, and providing a home for the peak sporting bodies Netball Victoria and Hockey Victoria
- Upgrades to amenity and infrastructure including: the development of a new front entrance, providing for improved circulation and improving access to local public transport
The new facilities will be developed within the existing boundary of the centre.
Construction is expected to start in November 2018 and to be complete in 2020.