In December 2019, Kane Constructions was awarded the $160 million Design & Construct contract to deliver the University of Melbourne New Student Precinct (NSP) project.
The project will be delivered over nine separable portions including:
- Alice Hoy – demolition (4 levels)
- Arts and Cultural Building – new build (4 levels) 6 star as built
- Student Pavilion Building – new build (4 levels) 6 star as built
- ERC – refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
- Doug McDonell Building – refurbishment (levels 1-5), 5 star self cert
- Frank Tate Building – refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
- Landscaping/Amphitheatre North, refurbishment
- Amphitheatre South
- 1888 Building – refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
The NSP will make a significant contribution to the transformation of the on-campus student experience at Parkville by delivering a world-class student hub for the whole campus community.
The precinct will co-locate student services and activities closer to the new heart of the campus, and to primary transport links.
The project will be delivered in a precinct setting with an activated and accessible ground-plane and landscape.
The Project includes six buildings and will deliver 37,050m2 of new or refurbished internal and external building and landscape space.
The site is complex and constrained, and traffic across the Precinct is complicated by a 6m level drop north to south.
This project will reach Practical Completion in the second quarter of 2022.