In December 2019, Kane Constructions was awarded the $169 million Design & Construct contract to deliver the University of Melbourne Student Precinct project.
The project will be delivered over nine separable portions including:
- Alice Hoy – demolition (4 levels)
- Arts and Cultural Building – new build (4 levels) 6 star as built
- Student Pavilion Building – new build (4 levels) 6 star as built
- ERC Library refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
- Doug McDonell Building – refurbishment (levels 1-5), 5 star self cert
- Frank Tate Building – refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
- Landscaping/Amphitheatre North, refurbishment
- Amphitheatre South
- 1888 Building – refurbishment (all levels), 5 star self cert
The Student Precinct was designed to make a significant contribution to the transformation of the on-campus student experience at Parkville by delivering a world-class student hub for the whole campus community.
The precinct co-locates student services and activities closer to the new heart of the campus, and to primary transport links.
The project was delivered in a precinct setting with an activated and accessible ground-plane and landscape.
The Student Precinct includes six buildings and will deliver 37,050m2 of new or refurbished internal and external building and landscape space.
The site was complex and constrained, and traffic across the precinct is complicated by a 6m level drop north to south.
This project reached Practical Completion in the second quarter of 2022.