In August 2021, Kane Constructions was awarded the $50 million Design and Construct contract to deliver the Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre (NARC).
Once completed, the new NARC will offer indoor and outdoor pools as well as increased opportunities to participate in health and wellbeing activities, through larger and additional programming spaces and an added warm water pool for exercise and rehabilitation.
The new NARC will be a 6 Star Green Star rated facility, demonstrating Council’s commitment to and leadership in climate action and in delivering innovative environmentally sustainable projects.
The design has been shaped by consultation with the community and the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation and has been completed by Warren and Mahoney Australia.
The project scope includes:
- 8 lane 25m pool
- Learn to swim/leisure pool
- An aquatic playground and toddler pool
- Warm water pool
- Steam, spa and sauna facilities
- Gym and group fitness studios
- Private consult rooms
- Café; and
- Change rooms including dedicated spaces for accessibility, gender-neutral, changing place, and school groups
- 10 lane 50m pool with ramp entry
- Landscaped spectator area for carnivals and events
- Nature play aquatic playground
Access & Car Parking
- New entry and exit to car park
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Increased bicycle parking and bus parking
- Pick up/drop off zone
The project will reach Practical Completion in the first half of 2023.