In June, 2014 Rockdale Council appointed Kane Constructions to deliver the Library under a D&C contract. On appointment, Kane took on the developed brief and concepts, and engaged consultants to complete the design and provide construction documentation, whilst being respectful of the original brief and concepts.
In terms of construction, the overall project scope included the demolition of existing premises and the construction of the new Library of about 2400m2, attached to the existing Town Hall. The ground floor of the Town Hall is now part of the Library building. The Library and Town Hall became a single building with 2 fire isolated compartments.
The following outcomes have been achieved on this Project:
- Construction of a state of the art new library that blends into the existing Town Hall Building with exceptional aesthetic internal and external finishes and facades combined with the latest engineering materials and structures
- A 3.5 level building facility for all residents of a modern library
- Glazed facades and an atrium designed to facilitate natural light into the building
- Numerous spaces for study, meetings and small group work
- New offices for library staff and Council’s Customer Service staff
- Free public access to computer technology and WiFi services
- New facilities for young children
- Dedicated area for featuring and displaying historical records of the Rockdale Council area
- DDA fully compliant – lifts and graded access ramps
- New air conditioning system for the Library and the existing Town Hall building
- Roof, wall and windows designed to minimise impacts of noise and vibration under the Sydney Airport flight path
- Stormwater recycling system to toilets