In October 2021, Whitehorse City Council awarded Kane Constructions the quintessential Whitehorse performing arts centre redevelopment under a Design and Construct contract.
The Whitehorse performing arts centre, named 'The Round', is functioning as both a premiere performance and events facility, and as a base for a diverse range of local community and business groups, artists, performers and patrons alike.
The centre delivers a 626-seat proscenium theatre, a 203-seat studio theatre black box, outdoor sound shell, two rehearsal studios, a feature entrance foyer and upgraded car parking.
The principles of reuse and recycling were employed throughout all project stages. Environmentally-sustainable design initiatives include double-glazed windows, efficient thermal performance of the building for internal climate control, rainwater harvesting, energy-efficient plant and equipment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, use of low carbon and durable building materials, LED lighting, landscape treatments, and water-efficient fixtures and fittings
Key features of the new facility include:
- 626-seat proscenium theatre with a larger stage and modern backstage area
- 203-seat studio theatre black box
- Main foyer with a bar suitable to host pre-event hospitality
- Sound shell suitable for outdoor concerts
- Multipurpose rehearsal/dance studio
- Meeting room
- Function room suitable to host sit down banquets (minimum of 300pax)
- Improved sound shell for community festivals and other outdoor events
- Improved car parking, enabling easy and convenient access to the Whitehorse performing arts centre, library, council offices, local parkland and nearby Walker Park sports precinct
The project reached Practical Completion in late 2023.