Kane Constructions was awarded the $44 million Lump Sum contract to deliver the Monash Medical Centre Emergency Department & Traffic Improvement project in August 2019.
The redevelopment delivers:
- A dedicated children’s emergency department
- Additional emergency department cubicles
- Additional short stay unit beds including for the behaviours of concern unit
- Refurbishment of existing emergency department areas, including resuscitation bays, general cubicles, mental health and short stay units
- A new alcohol and other drug and mental health hub
- Improved internal wayfinding within Monash Medical Centre
- Improved traffic management and flow across the site
- The project will expand facilities and improve service delivery to meet the needs of the growing community.
The expansion and reconfiguration of the emergency department will allow new, contemporary models of care. There will be modern, cutting-edge technology and equipment available as well as better access for ambulances, leading to an overall improved patient experience.
Specialist fast-tracked care will be provided for people presenting with urgent mental health, alcohol and other drug problems, freeing up emergency staff to treat other patients and relieving pressure on the emergency department.
The project will improve traffic flow and congestion around the emergency department, making it safer for patients and visitors and more accessible for ambulances in an emergency.
Improved signage at the entrance will help patients and visitors to easily find where they need to be.
The facilities have been designed to be environmentally responsible and resource-efficient, helping to reduce the impact on the natural environment.